Wednesday, August 24, 2016

It's about who you know

In the last few months, I have been hit up by a lot of old co-workers to help them get in the door at my company. I get it, this is basically a requirement these days in order to find a job. I won't lie my last company and present, were the same way. It's like whoring yourself out to old co-workers hoping they liked you enough and thought highly enough of you to then whore themselves out for you. I'm thankful for my job and how I got it. 

This is where the post turns borderline angry. A past co-worker of mine hit me up to help her with a job. I actually helped her get a job many years back even before I knew her (she was a friend of a friend). She turned out to be smart, no doubt, but not great at her job. So after helping her once, then her hardly performing to now her asking me to help her again? By the way, I hardly know her and haven't spoke to her since the last time we worked together, I don't know, like 7 years ago? NO. I will not help you. I am into helping where it makes sense but I do not appreciate being taken advantage of.

After that "hit" up, I received four more. I will say all four that hit me up, I hold in high regard. Two of the four have tried to help me find a job in the past so it's only natural for me to offer my help. One of the four is a snarky one and hit me up for something his resume wasn't even tailored for. I let him have it. You expect me to stick my neck out for you for a Senior position and you are not even buttoned up? I know I can be a little ruthless. But I also know what it takes and appreciate people that are not going to waste my time. 

I will help all of these people if I can. I will continue to help them. I know the name of the game and it really sucks! You can't just get into a company with your awesome experience anymore. But in closing, can I just ask, when you are looking to use your friends for help, be appreciative, like really appreciative because it is not just your reputation on the line anymore. 

No comments: